No, not one, not two, but THREE of you nominated me for the Sunshine Award over the past several weeks. Um, guys, my eyes are getting a bit misty…
But, seriously though, how have I fooled you all in to thinking that I’m that type of blogger that brings sunshine to the cloudy IF days? I have to assume you all nominated me out of a wicked sense of contrarianism. And, frankly, that’s pretty awesome.
The “rules” of accepting the Sunshine Award are as follows:
- Include the Sunshine Award icon in your post
- Link to the blogger who nominated you
- Answer 10 questions about yourself
- Nominate 10 other bloggers to receive the award and invent 10 questions for them to answer
- Link to your nominees and let them know about the nomination
On October 4 (OMG, really?) the inspiring Kitten of Yet Another Bitter Infertile nominated me for the award. (And, I do mean inspiring. Did ya’ll see how she rallied the troops to take on the evil troll that attacked her and all of greater infertiledom via her comments sections yesterday?)
1.What odd routines or rituals do you have?
Hrmm, I don’t actually think I have that many. I hate to repeat something I wrote yesterday, but honestly the only one I can think of right now has to do with my medication regime. In order to remember which side to administer my Lovenox and PIO on each night I’ve used a system of even date left side, odd date right side. Even numbers are CLEARLY better in all regards, as is the left side because my name starts with an L. Thus, even left, odd right. 🙂
2. What’s your favorite Halloween costume that you’ve worn?
Oh, so many! My mom was a SAHM-supreme and hand-sewed all my costumes. I loved the yearly routine (oh, another routine!) of going to the fabric store every September, picking out the pattern I wanted, having her make it and constantly need to fit it, and then getting to show off my total uniqueness every Halloween. Though it makes me cringe looking back on it, I think my fav ever at the time was my ballerina pig costume. In hindsight, not the best choice for a portly 11 year old, but at the time I thought it was perfect. A tulle tutu, ribbons lacing up my point shoes, adorable pointy ears! It was a good choice, too, as it snowed that Christmas and that full pink felt suit was super warm!
3. What do you think of people who eat soup on a sweltering hot day?
Why not? If it’s what sounds good go for it! Plenty of societies in hot climates have amazing hot soup traditions! Nothing better than a hot bowl of spicy Pho on an August afternoon!
4. Favorite song to sing at the top of your lungs?
I’m not much of a singer, to be honest. If I’m in the right mood (rare) I’ll happily belt along to whatever’s on the radio when I’m alone in the car. I can’t resist anything from the Moulin Rouge soundtrack. I blame high school.
5. Have you ever stolen anything?
Wow, I’m a dork. Not really? I mean, I definitely help myself to my employer’s paper and mailing envelopes (shhh!), but does that even count?
6. Be honest – Have you read 50 Shades of Grey?
Nope. I have limited time and energy to read for pleasure (which is unfortunate, seeing as I do love reading), so when I have the time you better be sure I’m reading a book I think I will like!
7. What’s something that made you laugh so hard you peed (or nearly peed) your pants?
Oh man, I totally did this once when I was younger. Maybe about 11 or 12? My dad was telling a story about my aunt’s beat-up car. I can’t remember what was so funny about it, but I started laughing (and peeing) and couldn’t stop. One of the most embarrassing moments of my life. Ever. I’m turning red just thinking about it…
8. What book(s) are you reading right now?
Track of the Cat (first Anna Pigeon mystery) – m’eh. The Winter King by Thomas Penn – quite good, and an era of history I know little about. Living Well with Autoimmune Disease by Mary Shomon – rereading select sections for millionth time with eye toward answering my ANA and pregnancy questions.
9. How do you pronounce “aunt”? (ahnt or ant?)
It’s the black crawly insect all the way.
10. What do you see in this image?
A crown? My super duper princess crown.
A few weeks later (yet still an embarrassingly long time ago) Hope at A Crack in Everything also named me as a nominee. A fiercely strong woman (seriously, check out her bio), it was an honor to get this nod from her.
1. Where do you feel the most at home (other than, you know, in your actual home)?
Wow, maybe I don’t feel at home anywhere but my home? What kind of a sad statement is that?
2. What song brings back good memories?
Pretty much anything released between 1999 and 2004 is sure to have some sort of memory attached to it. Most are good, though some aren’t!
3. When did you know that you were ready to have children?
2008. The mister and I had been together for 6 years, married for 2, and had been in our new home for 1. Of course, we waited two more years to start trying (partly under the advice of a GP who ran a few incorrectly timed blood tests and told me that the fact that I never got periods would have no negative impact on my fertility). 2013 is drawing to a close and we may actually be finally rounding the corner to parenthood.
4. What’s your next big (non-child-related) goal?
5. What’s one of your pet peeves?
Only one? Hehe. Probably bad spelling. God invented spell check for a reason. Sigh.
6. What’s one of your favorite keepsakes?
Right now I’m holding on dearly to my most recent ultrasound picture! Longer term, though, it’s probably the silly vending machine ring that Mr. But IF used to propose. He’d ordered the real deal in enough time for it to get to him for our anniversary, but some wires got crossed at the jewelers and it came a week late. He proposed with a plastic ring that came out of a vending machine in one of those see-through balls. He tucked the receipt for the real ring inside the ball as well. It was a perfect memory and a perfect keepsake.
7. Cats or dogs?
No question. Cats. Dogs? Pshaw!
8. If you could live in any other place or time, what would it be?
I always wanted to live in another time, though IF has largely changed that. My life would be a lot different right now were it not for artificial reproductive technologies and the support networks that have developed on the Internet! Though, a part of me still wishes I could be held to a 1950s dress code (c’mon, hats!) and that being a SAHM was still a reality for the masses.
9. If you had money to give away, who would receive it?
Half to my in-laws, half to a trust to dole out support for treatments and adoption for the IF women I’ve grown to love.
10. When was the last time you laughed really hard?
Last night. We had a friend over for dinner. We were talking bad television. A story involving a medical show, a Viagara mishap, and a med student applying pressure to an erect penis. I love my friends.
Finally, Johanne over at My Hope Jar also gave me the nod a few weeks ago. Her focus on creating a “Community of Hope” is beautiful, and more important than I can put into words. Why do we feel the need to hide our losses away?
1. Why do you blog?
Because I’m a narcissist? Really, truly I do it because it’s cathartic. It let’s me get it all out in a “me me me” sort of manner without having to feel guilty about burdening others, without worrying that my words might sting the individual I’m talking to, without censoring myself. The blog is public because I truly feel that others can find comfort and kinship through my selfish words. I sure know I did when I first found blogs like A Little Pregnant and The Infertility Voice.
2. What is your favorite movie?
I don’t know that it’s my super-duper all time hands-down favorite, but now that we’re getting to that time of year again I definitely have to give a shout-out to Love, Actually. That movie came out the Christmas after the Christmas we lost my mom to cancer. It mattered so much to me at that time, and still does to this day. (Though, I do have to fastforward through the Sarah and Karl parts.)
3. What is your favorite food?
I wish I could say something gourmet like Sushi or Thai or fresh-organically-grown-farm-raised-whatever, but there’s honestly not much better in this world than a Pittsburgh-style steak salad. Iceberg lettuce, french fries, strips of perfectly cooked steak, mountains of shredded cheese, and a gallon of ranch dressing? Dear God, I’m hungry! I can haz move back to Pittsburgh now?
4. What is your favorite thing or memory about your spouse?
My favorite thing is his intelligence. I love that he challenges me at every turn, and that there is literally no topic of conversation he won’t go down. My favorite memory still has to be the first time he walked me to my dorm after history class. We stood outside my door talking for easily an hour, and at that moment I knew he was someone far more special than I’d ever given him credit for.
5. What do you do to relieve stress?
Veg out in front of the TV and cross stitch. It’s such a good distraction.
6. Who or what inspires you?
All of you! This IF stuff is hard. It’s totally no joke. The fact that any of us are still standing is, quite frankly, a miracle!
7. What is your biggest fear?
Aside from never being a parent? Heights, probably. Just can’t stand them! As a result, I’m totally no fun at amusement parks, and truly horrid at flying.
8. What is your biggest dream?
To be someone’s mom. I know, I know, another cop out answer! But, it’s the truth!
9. What is your best piece of advice?
Be kind to yourself. We all spend so much time worrying about what others think of us, that we often forget to take care of ourselves in the process. The one person you will have to be able to live with for the rest of your life is you. Make sure you want to know that person!
10. What are you most proud of?
My marriage. My parents didn’t exactly leave me a great road map to follow, so the fact that we’ve made this work for the past 8 years, and that we’ve made it work WELL is a constant source of pride. I don’t know where I’d be without the mister.
And, again, I’ll echo what I said yesterday. No pressure to comply at all. Just know that I’m thinking of you and, to pull on the award title a little more, that you do bring sunshine (and buckets of dark humor) to my life! In no particular order:
1. Fox in the Hen House – The Furiously Funny Fox
2. Just Stop Trying and It Will Happen… – The Award Winner
3. My Cheap Version of Therapy – The Granola Sweetheart
4. Teach Me to Braid – The Faithful One
5. On Fecund Thought – The Spiritual Inspiration
6. Our Misconception – The Movie Star
7. Our Last Embryo – The Diagnosis Sister
8. Stuck on Pause – The Healing One
9. Stupid Stork – The “I Just Spit My Tea Across the Room” One
10. Who Shot Down My Stork? – The Socky Ringleader
I thought it was going to be impossible to come up with yet more (different) names for this, my second blog award post in as many days, but damn there’s a lot of you out there I love! If I haven’t gotten to you yet, don’t worry. You’re on my list. Muwahaha…
1. Are you and your partner a case of “opposites attract,” “two peas in a pod,” or some mix of both?
2. Salty or sweet? (There totally IS a right answer!)
3. If you remember, how’d you find my blog? Why do you (or don’t you!) read?
4. Where do you feel your virtual best? On your blog? Twitter? Facebook? Pinterest? Some other site I’m far too uncool to know about?
5. When did you start blogging? Was there a particular trigger that fueled your desire to blog?
6. What one thing never fails to make you happy?
7. Are you crafty? If so, what’s your favorite medium?
8. If you could have a new career/occupation/profession tomorrow, what would it be? Why?
9. What one item of your partner’s clothing/apparel would you love to secretly toss?
10. Thoughts on the term “furbabies”? Love or hate?