So, as I mentioned yesterday, I’ve been engaging in some serious bad blog behavior. Ya’ll have nominated me, have patted me on the back, have begged me to engage with you via various
old school chain letters fancy blogging awards, yet I’ve not heeded the call. I’ve left you hanging. I’ve <insert overused verbal flourish here>. Time to remedy that!
First, the lovely and strong Lauren at On Fecund Thought (note: some posts password protected) nominated me for the Liebster Award. The award icon pretty much says it all:
So, here goes.
11 Random Facts
1. Odd numbers annoy me. Hrmm, what does that mean for the rest of this response?
2. Odd numbers annoy me so much that on odd dates I shoot my Lovenox and PIO on the right side. I prefer the left side because my name starts with L and clearly L is the best letter. So left-sided shots are reserved for the glory of even-numbered dates.
3. I may be a bit anal (see above).
4. Mr. But IF is probably laughing right now because I wrote “anal.”
5. Mr. But IF and I met in college 3 months before my mom died. He met my friends and family for the first time at her funeral.
6. I’m first generation American on my dad’s side. He emigrated from Scotland with his mother, grandparents, and sister in the mid-1950s when he was in his late teens.
7. I was a high school drum major, and still miss it. I drag the Mr. to drum corps shows regularly.
8. I was salutatorian of my high school graduating class. The GPA system was rigged. I should have been first. I was cheated. I still carry a chip. 😉
9. Pittsburgh is the greatest city in the world. That totally qualifies as a fact.
10. I wear gloves in my office. And a heating pad. And multiple sweaters. The thermostat is set to an ungodly 60 degrees and there’s nothing I can do about.
11. Ranch dressing is my greatest weakness.
11 Worthy Bloggers
I’m not quite sure how to determine if ya’ll have under 200 followers or not (I sure don’t have that many!), but I’ll plow on. Rather than actually have to think about this, I’m gonna simply take this opportunity to thank those of you with blogs that have recently commented on this little old blog o’ mine. In no particular order, I give you:
8. My Hope Jar
11. Amateur Nester
11 Questions from Lauren
1. What is your super power? Not a fake one, but something you are good at and can consistently rely on?
Really coming up blank here. Do I go full-nerd or full-pessimist? Oh choices! I can seriously pump out a research paper, annotated bibliography, well-researched project proposal,
a blog post in 30 seconds flat. See kids? Procrastinating throughout your life does pay dividends! Now, whether or not I can actually muster the energy to care to do any of those things unless absolutely necessary is a whole other question!
2. What gift (apart from effortlessly making a human) do you wish you had?
The ability to turn back time/travel back in time. I’d give anything to relive just a few more moments with my mom.
3. Have you read a book more than three times?
Absolutely! The real question is how many books have you read more than three times? At the very least my childhood/teenage favs have to be on there. Anne of Green Gables, Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, anything Sherlock Holmes, The Valley of Decision, The Phantom Tollbooth, the Ender’s Game series, Pride and Prejudice, Crime and Punishment, oh, the list just goes on and on!
4. What is your mantra?
To never live by a mantra. 😉 Sorry, I effing hate mantras.
5. What’s the best piece of advice you ever received?
Does a quote from a random author count as advice? Something that has always resonated with naturally introverted, self-conscious, and shy me is the following from Andre Dubus: “Shyness has a strange element of narcissism, a belief that how we look, how we perform, is truly important to other people.” Really, when we all get down to it, so little of what we do or how we act really matters to other people. Some might find that sad or pessimistic, but I find it liberating. Why should I be so in my head about everything if no one else really cares? That line of reasoning often brings me peace.
6. Do you blog on a PC or a Mac?
A lil’ bit of both. I’m a dyed in the wool Mac girl, but my work laptop is a PC. So on the *cough cough* rare occasions that I’m writing from work, you’re catching me using a PC. I’ve also written many full posts on my iPad while traveling.
7. What made you decide to start blogging?
Oh, boy. Desperation? An unquenchable desire to hear myself spout off at random? An over-sized ego that was naive enough to think I had something new to add to this conversation? A growing disillusionment with the revolving door of women I’d met and helped on online forums? A desire to further my advocacy?
Mainly, though, it was another distraction to throw myself in to as I entered another long indeterminate length waiting period following my third unexplained miscarriage. What started as a distraction quickly became a much-loved hobby. I was hooked.
8. What’s in your handbag (UK) / purse (US) / “bag you carry around all day” (elsewhere)?
What isn’t? I do regularly carry the world’s largest purse! Usual stuff – wallet, keys, pens, hair brush gum, business cards, etc. A small pharmacy – Advil (even though it’s now verboten, the Mr. often requests it), tissues, nail file, nail clippers, bandaids, my daily pill case, and, if I’m going to be out at shot time, my needles, my wipes, some gauze, etc. The less usual – a giant coupon organizer, often my iPad, hallmarks of my OCD cleanliness (hand sanitizer, stain stick, lint brush). And, finally, the personal – memorial card from my mom’s funeral, the latest ultrasound picture, my long-past expired college ID, my hometown library card complete with my 10 year-old’s signature.
9. What’s in your fridge?
Oh, thank GAWD you asked this week! I’ve been a freaking domestic goddess this week! (Totally not the norm!) Milk, eggs, butter, and the like. An industrial capacity supply of seltzer water – I can’t get enough of the stuff right now. There’s beer sitting there mocking me, as well as 4 unopened bottles of champagne that people brought me for my 30th birthday a few weeks ago. Yes, the people that didn’t know I was pregnant. There’s leftover taco meat for tomorrow’s dinner, chicken to be cooked tonight, and a giant pot of homemade clam chowder I slaved over on Tuesday in order to have ample easy food at the ready for the weekend while the Mr. is away at a football game with friends.
10. Who’s the last person you spoke to?
Just hung up the phone. Call from the mister telling me our pellet stove is broken. Joy!
11. What makes you feel fabulous?
Um, I dunno. A new pair of Clark’s?
11 Questions for My Bloggy Friends
And, seriously ya’ll, don’t feel pressured to answer. I’m pointing out your blogs here to draw attention to your hard work and thank you for the support you’ve offered me; if you fail to continue the chain letter, so be it! (Or, if it takes you over a month to reply like, uh, someone we all know, then so be that as well!)
1. What was the destination of your favorite vacation? Why?
2. Do you have any pets? What? How many?
3. What’s your favorite physical asset (don’t be shy!)?
4. How is your life different now from what you thought it would be at this point when you were 20?
5. What was the last movie you saw in a theater? What did you think?
6. Name your guilty pleasure TV show.
7. (Shameless curiosity spurred on by the award rules) How many people follow your blog? How long did it take you to build up your audience? How’d you do it?
8. How often do you blog?
9. Does anyone in your “real life” know about your blog?
10. Who was the last person you talked to on the phone?
11. If you weren’t answering this question right now, what would you be doing?